Tampere University of Technology, Tampere Finland
Managing Director / Chief Technology Officer, Chairman of the Board, Founder,
Radiator Software Oy (formerly Arch Red Oy),
(January 2003 - present)
- Within 18 years of the existence of
Radiator Software Oy I
have worked in multiple roles
gathering knowledge and experience not only about technology,
but also about leadership, company mergers and acquisitions,
sales, marketing, contract law,
negotiations, strategy planning, partnering, HR etc. and
continue learning more.
- Radiator Software is nowadays a Finnish-Australian company group, which provides RADIUS/Diameter Authentication, Authorisation and Accounting (AAA) software products and services for mobile telecom, communication/IoT service providers, and enterprise networks, directly or through our resellers and integrators around the world. Radiator Software serves customers in over 180 countries, which include over 50% of the largest 25 mobile network operators, and tens of top 100 enterprises and universities.
- Radiator Software Oy was originally founded as Arch Red Oy
concentrating in secure mobile communication solutions for
enterprise customers. Arch Red products include authentication
servers, WLAN roaming and authentication solutions as well as
expert services supporting them and general utilisation of
open source software and advanced network technologies in the
customer's business environment.
- Some previous highlights from Arch Red era:
- Commercialising eduroam
technologies and applying them to create the concept and
behind roam.fi (formerly
Wireless Tampere) WiFi community network used heavily in
Tampere region cities, Seinäjoki, Hämeenlinna etc.
- Turning RADIUS-based WLAN roaming research into a production
service for Finnish University and Research Network
WLAN Roaming is part of European/global WLAN Roaming
- Creating a company supported product based on the TUT
Public Access Network architecture and its access controller
- Integrating an open source based mobile server (combined
mobile router and group server) for
the Internet bus (Netti-Nysse), operated by the Tampere City
- The testbed architecture design and various other publications (see Patents and Publications) for ICT SHOK Future Internet
- TUT Research Network concept design and development in
cooperation with TUT IT department and various other
departments. TUT Research Network is a network separated
from the TUT inner production networks for TUT internal
and partner research requiring more flexible research
- The design and deployment of the TUT campus wide public access network
architecture (both WLAN and cable connections).
- Integration and partial implementation of the open
source based access control system supporting the defined
architecture and various access control methods including
captive portal and VPN (IPSEC,PPTP) authentication.
- Finished M.Sc. studies and wrote thesis about The
Design and Deployment of the TUT Public Access
- Radius-based WLAN roaming research.
- Participation in the work of the Terena's Mobility
workgroup concerning eduroam WLAN roaming.
- Lecturing and teaching network design, diagnostics and
- Founding, encouraging and guiding communications
engineering related open source software projects.
- Recruiting the people and leading small groups in research
projects including enterprise cooperation and networking tasks.
- Acknowledged expert in system, security and network
technology issues. Interviews in local newspapers,
presentations in the technical conferences for academic
- In general finding new research areas and ideas and
turning them into research projects by finding people and
organisations interested in developing them.
Research & Development Manager (System Architecture),
Wireless Network Services Oy
(February 2001 - February 2002)
- Participated in the spin-off of the company in the technology
(e.g. first technical due & diligence), intellectual property,
security, and business model / concept design issues.
- Continued architecture and system R&D started in the
Saunalahti / Jippii Group. The scope of work expanded to be able
to support multiple service operators and roaming between them in
the future. Additional interest was also focused to the wireless
- Miscellaneous experience in the design, selection, evaluation
and implementation of the security (IPSEC, CA/PKI, WEP etc.) and
Senior Designer / System Engineer,
Saunalahti Oyj / Jippii Group Oyj,
(September 2000 - February 2001)
- Designed and implemented an improved version of a customized
network element (so called wireless router). Continued research
and development concerning this product with a small team.
- Research and development concerning WLAN networks and suitable
network architecture for both hotspot and wireless local loop
- Participated in the evaluation and testing of several products
related to the wireless networks and services. Gained this way
valuable insight what are the operator needs and requirements for
these kind of products.
Software Engineer / Trainee,
(May 1998 - September 2000)
- Worked as a part-time trainee (full-time when possible) in the
research & development department concentrating on WLAN and mobile
network technologies and services.
- Participated in the architecture design work and the
implementation of the proof of concept and pilot systems.
- Co-inventor in the patent application concerning Location
Dependent Services. Details are below in the Patents section.
- Familiarized myself with the mobile Internet technologies like
TCP/IP, IPv6, QoS, Location Dependent Services and Mobile-IP.
- Miscellaneous system / network administration work related to
UNIX(-like) hosts, test networks and wireless LANs (WLAN).
- General IT support work with Windows '95 / Windows NT hosts,
some work with the HP/UX servers.
Patents and Publications
- Karri Huhtanen, Jari Miettinen, Pekka Savola, Kaisa Haapala, Matti Laipio & Markus Peuhkuri: ICT SHOK Future Internet Testbed Architecture v2.0, ICT SHOK Future Internet Deliverable 4.1.1, Research Report 2010:1, Tampere University of Technology, Department of Communications Engineering. ISBN 978-952-15-2387-8.
- Huhtanen K., Savola P., Miettinen J., ICT SHOK Future Internet Testbed Service Development Framework 27.11.2009
- Huhtanen K. (editor), contributors (in alphabetical order): Haapala K., Miettinen J., Peuhkuri M., Savola P., Suhonen A., ICT SHOK Future Internet Testbed Services 26.11.2009
- Karri Huhtanen, Heikki Vatiainen, Sami Keski-Kasari, Jarmo Harju: Utilising eduroam architecture in building wireless community networks (PDF), paper presented in the Terena Networking Conference 2008, Brugge/Bruges, Belgium. Also part of Emerald Publishing's Campus-Wide Information Systems Journal, Volume 25, Issue 5, year 2008.
- Bilhanan Silverajan (editor), Karri Huhtanen et al: Pervasive Networks and Connectivity, Seminar Series on Special Topics in Networking, Spring 2008. Department of Communications Engineering Research Report 2008:2, Tampereen Yliopistopaino, ISBN 978-952-15-2011-2. pp. 16-23.
- Karri Huhtanen, Bilhanan Silverajan, Jarmo Harju: Utilising IPv6 over VPN to Enhance Home Service Connectivity (PDF), paper presented in the Terena Networking Conference 2007, Copenhagen, Denmark. Also part of Emerald Publishing's Campus-Wide Information Systems Journal, Volume 24, Issue 4, year 2007..
- Bilhanan Silverajan, Karri Huhtanen, and Jarmo Harju: IPv6 Experiments in Deploying and Accessing Services from Home Networks, Proceedings of IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Communications 2006 (APCC 2006), Busan, South Korea, ISBN 1-4244-0573-4.
Location Dependent Services
Radius-based WLAN roaming
- Karri Huhtanen, Heikki Vatiainen, Sami Keski-Kasari, Jarmo Harju: Implementing multi-federation and peer-to-peer roaming on the eduroam federation level (PDF), paper presented in the Terena Networking Conference 2010, Vilnius, Lithuania.
- Sami Keski-Kasari, Karri Huhtanen, Jarmo Harju: Applying Radius-based Public Access Roaming in the Finnish University Network (FUNET) (PDF), paper presented in the Terena Networking Conference 2003, Zagreb, Croatia.
- Jukka Koskinen (editor), Jukka Koskinen, Niko Heistaro, Karri Huhtanen, Tero Järvenpää, Joonas Koivunen, Pauli Pieniniemi, Juuso Piskonen, Joonas Ruohonen, Markku Vajaranta. Yhteisöt tietoturvan uhkana ja suojana. Chapter 5: Isoveljen tiedustelumenetelmiä. Seminar report. Tampere 2012, Tampere University of Technology, Department of Communications Engineering. pp. 26-32.
- Juhani Paavilainen (editor), Heikki Vatiainen, Karri Huhtanen, Jani Kilpilinna, Reetta Karjalainen. Tietoturvallinen ohjelmointi. Technical report B-2004-5. Tampere 2004, University of Tampere, Department of Computer Sciences. pp. 33-42.
- Security Problems and Solutions in WLAN Access Zones (white paper)
All the newest presentations can be found from my Slideshare page at: https://slideshare.net/khuhtanen/
- Native Finnish, fluent English, good Swedish and basic German.
- System, services, security and network architecture design.
- Practical and theoretical knowledge about TCP/IP, routing,
WLAN, IPSEC (VPN), IPv6, QoS, Mobile-IP, SLP and firewalls
- Theoretical knowledge about OSPF, RIP, BGP and ATM
- Embedded Linux experience from designing systems on top of OpenWRT and Voyage Linux
- System administration, development and user experience in the
Linux, FreeBSD/OpenBSD and Solaris (x86) systems. Some experience
in the same areas also in the Solaris (Sparc), Tru64 Unix and
- Operating system security (encryption, virtualisation, Linux
- User experience in several Microsoft systems and applications.
- User experience in PDA systems like Maemo, Palm and Compaq iPAQ.
- Education experience from Tampere University of Technology,
Institute of Communications Engineering and from
- Entrepreneurial experience from Wireless Network Services Oy
and Arch Red Oy startups.
- Negotiation, presentation, sales and marketing experience from
functioning as the managing director of Arch Red Oy as well as from
projects like TUT Public Access and Funet WLAN Roaming Pilot.
- International cooperation experience from Arch Red Oy and from working in Terena Mobility taskforce for eduroam.
- Conference experience from Finland and abroad: presentations, invited speeches.
- Project experience from leading and participating to several
- Basic software design methods, UML, object-oriented programming etc.
- Open source software and system evaluation and integration.
- UNIX shell scripts (active), PHP/Python (used within year), C/C++/Java (basics, not in active use)
- My objective in the work life is to learn new things and
combine them with the knowledge and experience I have gathered
earlier. This way I can expand my expertise so that I can do even
more challenging and interesting new tasks or advance further on
Interests and Activities
- Cloud infrastructure, services and business
- Internet and related new technologies and services
- Technology management
- Virtual communities, authentication federations
- Overlay networks
- System, service and network architectures
- Open source software
- Creative utilisation of existing technologies to solve current and future problems
- Management and encouragement of creativity and innovation
- Optimisation of the product creation process
- digital photography
- drawing, graphics
- music (concerts, listening)
- reading, occasional writing
- computers, networks, experimenting with new things and technologies
- culture experiments (theater, opera, etc.)
- occasional physical activities
- TammerSec: Participating,
supporting and sponsoring TammerSec, a local information security
- TOAS Network: the network administrator or the Tuulanhovi I
student apartments February 2000 - December 2004.
- Modeemi ry, a computer entheastics' club at Tampere University
of Technology: a member of the board (book correspondent, vice
chairperson) and a part-time UNIX system administrator for several
years, chairman of the board (2006 - 2007)
- Tietokonekerho Mikropiiri ry, a computer club at Jämsänkoski:
a founding member, a member of the board, a camp teacher and a
system administrator for several years.